Skip to main content

Day 9 at Hippocrates

Monday.

I attended a yoga class for the first time ever and did OK. I got a little tired after the first Sun Salutation, but after the first one, I sat it out while the group did the asanas 6 more times and I joined back in once they were done. Hey, I tried it. Viktoras was in the class and it was amazing beyond belief to see him do the Plow Pose. He folded so tight he looked like a clam shell.

Then there was a class called Taking It All Home most of which I do anyway such as using glass Mason jars to store nuts and seeds and how to equip your raw kitchen most of which I have also with the exception of a dehydrator and a couple of Easy Sprout sprouter kits. But as always, there's always a fun new tidbit to learn. We learned how to estimate how much sprouts are needed for weekly usage which will come in handy. So for instance, to plan to order enough sprouts for the Hippocrates green juice which consists of 50% sunflower sprouts and pea sprouts and 50% cucumber juice and celery juice, for a single person, you would need to plan on ordering 3 1/2 pounds of each sunflower sprouts and pea sprouts.

And then of course, sprouts are a big part of lunch and dinner, so you need to plan extra for that as well. So that brings the total up to 7 pounds of each sprout required for one person per week. I don't have my notes with me now, and I'm too tired to think, but I'm pretty sure that was the ratio. We eat a lot of sprouts around here!

At the end of the class, we had a raffle and I won! I won a bottle of stevia! I felt so lucky like the time I took a random trip up to Becket, Massachusetts by myself to attend an open house at the Kushi Institute. I won a free brunch for two, but haven't had an opportunity to use it. I wonder if it's still good. Anyway, it was fun to win!

Today there were a lot of new faces around since a new group of people arrived yesterday. They seem alright but different than the great group of people I arrived. I mean, for instance on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, you get to have 2 oz of Blue Green Algae to add to your 10:00AM green drink. They tell you this in orientation, they tell you when you have your consultation with your nurse and it's clearly and largely written on the pitcher:  2 ounces Blue Green Algae only. So one of the new guys filled his 8 ounce glass clear up to the top. One of his fellow newbies said 'Stop! Don't drink that much, you're only supposed to have 2 ounces!' With that, the cup filler proceeded to open the top of the pitcher and pour most of the Blue Green Algae back in the pitcher. I have no idea whether or not he had already drank from that cup, so no Blue Green Algae for me today and it's too bad because it's part of my "prescription". Oh well.

I guess we'll get used to them. It's like when I went to the Kushi Institute - Level 1 takes a month to complete, but you can break down by week increments. Unfortunately, work wouldn't allow me to take the full month off, so I went for two weeks in the winter and two weeks later in the year. My first, original group was the best - friends I have to this day. The second group, I only keep in touch with one lovely girl. Same thing here, you get used to the people who have all been in this since day 1 with you.

I had a complimentary H-Wave treatment today and I had an acupuncture treatment later in the day. I can honestly say that for a portion of the day, I had NO pain in my ankles although, later in the day I walked for about an hour and after that felt a little achy, but it's really humid again today and that sometimes makes me not feel so good. But nails are hard and growing fast! And my vision seems clearer. And I feel more sensitive when touching things.

By the way, the H-Wave treatment I mentioned about uses a form of electrical stimulation and is mainly used in the management of pain. I'm not sure what other uses it's good for, but I have a class tomorrow so I'll find out more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brenda's Lasagna (recipe), Overused Words and One of the Best Moms I Know

I haven't posted here as much as I thought I would. Not sure why - I guess it has to do mostly with work - I have so many thoughts going through my mind that I think would make interesting topics and then I don't set aside the time to post.  I need to manage that a little better! Take my friend, Brenda - I wonder if her ears were ringing today.  I was thinking about her.  A lot.  I mean, she's got a hubby and six kids (four are her own and two step daughters) and if she can find the time to take care of her family and herself and work full time, then I can certainly find the time to post some of my thoughts and recipes more often!  I don't have any kids; I just have a boyfriend and a cat. One of the things I've been thinking about lately is how certain words are overused.  Lately the words I hear all the time are AMAZING and ROCKS.  I was watching Property Brothers a few weeks ago and this lady kept saying "Oh my God, that's AMAY-ZING" like 18 times

Summertime Kale Salad with Kelp Noodles

I crave this salad!  The variations are limitless depending on what produce is seasonal and available. Today I had a small yellow summer squash, so I used it. Other times I might use cucumber, fresh peas (you could use frozen peas too - just rinse briefly under cold water to thaw), red pepper, tomatoes, fresh raw corn just off the cob.  Here's how I made it today. Summertime Kale Salad with Kelp Noodles For the Kelp Noodles: 1 package Kelp Noodles 1 lime OR 1/2 lemon To prepare Kelp Noodles:  rinse according to package directions and drain in colander.  The kelp noodles are long and kind of unruly to eat, so I use a clean pair of scissors (reserved for food use only) to cut them in to smaller, easy-to-manage pieces (2 inches or so).  Place the cut kelp noodles in a medium bowl and squeeze lime or lemon juice over the  noodles and toss to coat.  Set aside to marinate while you prepare the Kale Salad. For the Kale Salad: 2 bunches Lacinato kale (can use regular kale t

Final Week at Hippocrates

Hello Blog, I've missed you! I've been wanting to put new posts and recipes on here, but the Capricorn in me wouldn't let me do so until I'd finished writing about my final week at the Hippocrates Health Institute, so all the posts are in consecutive order. There really isn't too much new to add to the last week - most of the lectures and presentations were repeats, so I skipped most of them and just went to my complimentary treatments and tried to take in and enjoy every inch of the institute and its grounds. The one new (to me) lecture was one I wish I'd known about earlier in my stay - Intramuscular Manual Therapy - I think I would have benefited so much more by having the treatment done each week rather than just one treatment the day before I had to leave, but now I know. On October 23, we had our final check-in for our weight and blood pressure and got our final blood draw done. So let's compare the blood pressure and weight over the 3-week span: O