Skip to main content

Summertime Kale Salad with Kelp Noodles

I crave this salad!  The variations are limitless depending on what produce is seasonal and available. Today I had a small yellow summer squash, so I used it. Other times I might use cucumber, fresh peas (you could use frozen peas too - just rinse briefly under cold water to thaw), red pepper, tomatoes, fresh raw corn just off the cob.  Here's how I made it today.


Summertime Kale Salad with Kelp Noodles

For the Kelp Noodles:

1 package Kelp Noodles
1 lime OR 1/2 lemon

To prepare Kelp Noodles:  rinse according to package directions and drain in colander.  The kelp noodles are long and kind of unruly to eat, so I use a clean pair of scissors (reserved for food use only) to cut them in to smaller, easy-to-manage pieces (2 inches or so).  Place the cut kelp noodles in a medium bowl and squeeze lime or lemon juice over the  noodles and toss to coat.  Set aside to marinate while you prepare the Kale Salad.

For the Kale Salad:

2 bunches Lacinato kale (can use regular kale too)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil (I love Braggs)
1/4 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce
1 avocado, peeled and chopped, discard seed
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 green onion, sliced
1 yellow or green summer squash, chopped
Handful of Arugula (optional, but adds a nice peppery taste)
Sprinkling of Hemp Seeds (optional, but adds a nice nutritional boost)*

Rinse the kale and drain.  Remove the tough stem.  Stack several leaves at a time and slice into thin strips (1/4 inch strips).  Place in a large bowl.  Add the garlic and sea salt and massage/knead the kale for a minute or so.  The leaves will turn a brighter shade of green and soften.  Add the lemon juice, olive oil , and tamari and massage into the kale too.  Add the chopped avocado and massage in also until some of the avocado is mashed into the kale, but little bits are still visible.

Stir in the onion and green onion and summer squash.  At this point, you may also add what ever else you like in any amount you like.  In previous salads, I have used combinations including a chopped cucumber, a cup of peas, 1 diced carrot, a cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half, fresh corn sliced off the cob, 6-8 romaine lettuce leaves sliced thin, etc. I find I don't have to adjust the amount of flavoring even with these additional ingredients - the lemon juice and olive oil seem adequate for me, but feel free to add more if you like.

Presentation:  Place the kelp noodles on a plate.  Top with kale salad.  Garnish with arugula and hemp seeds.

Enjoy!

Off topic... I remember as a kid trying to plant an avocado pit. Has anyone tried it? I remember using tooth picks and balancing it over a glass of water. We never succeeded in growing a plant, I suspect maybe because it wasn't organic?? Now that I use only organic ingredients, I may try it again! We'll see what happens - I'll report back someday :)

*Besides offering a subtle nutty flavor, hemp seeds offer some nice nutritional benefits.  High in digestible protein and all nine essential amino acids, hemp seeds are also known to provide a good balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids.  I keep some in a glass jar in my freezer and sprinkle on my salads and soups.




Comments

  1. This looks delicious! I will try it, once I find the noodles. I am starting a "no wheat" adventure, so I am constantly look for new ideas :). BTW, I have grown many trees from avocado pits, don't remember any of them fruiting though. I will try again myself...since I live in the perfect climate :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!! I was purchasing the kelp noodles at the health food store, but Amazon carries them too. The link (for a 6 pack) is http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Mine-Kelp-Noodles-16-Ounce/dp/B005LMCD8E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346816172&sr=8-1&keywords=kelp+noodles

    A friend of mine at work is also eliminating wheat and eating a more raw, unprocessed diet and she was really missing pasta. She really enjoys the texture of these noodles. I hope you enjoy this whenever you have a chance to try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brenda's Lasagna (recipe), Overused Words and One of the Best Moms I Know

I haven't posted here as much as I thought I would. Not sure why - I guess it has to do mostly with work - I have so many thoughts going through my mind that I think would make interesting topics and then I don't set aside the time to post.  I need to manage that a little better! Take my friend, Brenda - I wonder if her ears were ringing today.  I was thinking about her.  A lot.  I mean, she's got a hubby and six kids (four are her own and two step daughters) and if she can find the time to take care of her family and herself and work full time, then I can certainly find the time to post some of my thoughts and recipes more often!  I don't have any kids; I just have a boyfriend and a cat. One of the things I've been thinking about lately is how certain words are overused.  Lately the words I hear all the time are AMAZING and ROCKS.  I was watching Property Brothers a few weeks ago and this lady kept saying "Oh my God, that's AMAY-ZING" like 18 times

Final Week at Hippocrates

Hello Blog, I've missed you! I've been wanting to put new posts and recipes on here, but the Capricorn in me wouldn't let me do so until I'd finished writing about my final week at the Hippocrates Health Institute, so all the posts are in consecutive order. There really isn't too much new to add to the last week - most of the lectures and presentations were repeats, so I skipped most of them and just went to my complimentary treatments and tried to take in and enjoy every inch of the institute and its grounds. The one new (to me) lecture was one I wish I'd known about earlier in my stay - Intramuscular Manual Therapy - I think I would have benefited so much more by having the treatment done each week rather than just one treatment the day before I had to leave, but now I know. On October 23, we had our final check-in for our weight and blood pressure and got our final blood draw done. So let's compare the blood pressure and weight over the 3-week span: O