Skip to main content

Day 11 at Hippocrates

Wednesday.

Wednesdays are fasting days here if you choose to participate, so I just consumed liquids all day. Wheatgrass shot in the morning. Green juices and water throughout the day and a delicious blended green soup for dinner. Last Wednesday, I did the fast and didn't feel hungry at all. This week I was hungry, but not uncomfortably so. I would say it was more that I missed the delicious food more than anything because the food is truly wonderful here - I love it. But I feel good for successfully getting through the day without eating.



Today, Brian Clement (above) gave a lecture called "Fasting on Liquid Nourishment". He recommends doing a juice fast one day a week (he does it for two days a week). He covered a lot of information and I haven't sorted out my notes yet so I won't go into much here except for one important takeaway: You with purpose will save your life. You must have a purpose. Without that, you will die. If you have a terminal illness, no matter how much healthy (Hippocrates) food you eat, you will die if you don't have a purpose. Fear, anger, hostility and hatred are a major part of disease.

When I get home and sort through my notes, I hope to someday be able to post some of the good info here.



Later in the day, Anna Maria Clement (pictured above, left, along with a very happy me) gave a lecture on Ancient and Current Self Help Techniques. Lots of good info on how to treat various things such as earaches, wounds, tumors, headaches, detoxification, rejuvenation, etc. Again, so much info that I don't have time (or battery power) to type at the moment, but will do so at a later date.

The evening lecture was about facial acupressure and the importance of exfoliating the skin, the entire body not just the face. As we get older, our skin doesn't shed the dead layers of skin so it accumulates and prevents the new skin from breathing properly. A daily skin brushing ritual helps with that and with stimulating the lymph which can't pump itself so relies on skin brushing to help. What everyone has been taught is to brush from the soles of the feet UP to the heart, from the arms to the heart, etc. But we learned that it's actually better brush toward the areas that contain lymph glands. So, for instance, start on the thigh about 3-4 inches from the groin area and brush up. Go down toward the knee and brush up. Go down to mid shin/calf, brush up, ankles/feet and brush up. Same idea for the upper body, this time brushing toward the lymph glands located in the arm pit area. There's nothing wrong with the dry skin brushing routine that most everyone knows, it's just easier to tell people to brush towards the heart, but to help the lymph do its job, it's better to brush toward the lymph gland areas.

Of course, do not use chemicals on your skin, like parabens, petrochemicals, or anything that you can't pronounce or wouldn't put in your mouth. The skin will absorb any impure substances that you put on it, so use only organic, pure products on it. That goes without saying.

On another note, I sat with a couple of people today who had been here before. One person in particular has been here 4-5 times. Now, this place isn't cheap. Far from it. So not only was I a little jealous, but then I was a little taken aback when they both said that right about now we should be feeling like we've had enough of this place now that we're about halfway through the 3-week program, and that we should be tired of the food, tired of the routine, feeling like we are ready to go home by now. They both said this.Yeah, not on my planet. I'm already trying to hold back the thoughts that have already been creeping into my consciousness that this is not going to last forever and that someday all too soon, I'm going to have to drive to that place where I earn a paycheck and climb those stairs to my cubicle and return to the dreaded dreariness that is my job. Just the vague thought of it has brought me to tears here, so I keep pushing the thought aside. So for these people to have the gobs of money required to do this program over and over again and then bash it in a sense... I don't know. I just don't get it.

On a happy note, I got the results of my DEXA (bone density) scan back and my results were very good, in fact slightly above, other women in my age group.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brenda's Lasagna (recipe), Overused Words and One of the Best Moms I Know

I haven't posted here as much as I thought I would. Not sure why - I guess it has to do mostly with work - I have so many thoughts going through my mind that I think would make interesting topics and then I don't set aside the time to post.  I need to manage that a little better! Take my friend, Brenda - I wonder if her ears were ringing today.  I was thinking about her.  A lot.  I mean, she's got a hubby and six kids (four are her own and two step daughters) and if she can find the time to take care of her family and herself and work full time, then I can certainly find the time to post some of my thoughts and recipes more often!  I don't have any kids; I just have a boyfriend and a cat. One of the things I've been thinking about lately is how certain words are overused.  Lately the words I hear all the time are AMAZING and ROCKS.  I was watching Property Brothers a few weeks ago and this lady kept saying "Oh my God, that's AMAY-ZING" like 18 times

Summertime Kale Salad with Kelp Noodles

I crave this salad!  The variations are limitless depending on what produce is seasonal and available. Today I had a small yellow summer squash, so I used it. Other times I might use cucumber, fresh peas (you could use frozen peas too - just rinse briefly under cold water to thaw), red pepper, tomatoes, fresh raw corn just off the cob.  Here's how I made it today. Summertime Kale Salad with Kelp Noodles For the Kelp Noodles: 1 package Kelp Noodles 1 lime OR 1/2 lemon To prepare Kelp Noodles:  rinse according to package directions and drain in colander.  The kelp noodles are long and kind of unruly to eat, so I use a clean pair of scissors (reserved for food use only) to cut them in to smaller, easy-to-manage pieces (2 inches or so).  Place the cut kelp noodles in a medium bowl and squeeze lime or lemon juice over the  noodles and toss to coat.  Set aside to marinate while you prepare the Kale Salad. For the Kale Salad: 2 bunches Lacinato kale (can use regular kale t

Final Week at Hippocrates

Hello Blog, I've missed you! I've been wanting to put new posts and recipes on here, but the Capricorn in me wouldn't let me do so until I'd finished writing about my final week at the Hippocrates Health Institute, so all the posts are in consecutive order. There really isn't too much new to add to the last week - most of the lectures and presentations were repeats, so I skipped most of them and just went to my complimentary treatments and tried to take in and enjoy every inch of the institute and its grounds. The one new (to me) lecture was one I wish I'd known about earlier in my stay - Intramuscular Manual Therapy - I think I would have benefited so much more by having the treatment done each week rather than just one treatment the day before I had to leave, but now I know. On October 23, we had our final check-in for our weight and blood pressure and got our final blood draw done. So let's compare the blood pressure and weight over the 3-week span: O