Skip to main content

Recipe: Faux Salmon Steak (raw, vegan)

This recipe was demonstrated and served at Chef Renate's home. She is one of the chefs at the Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach, Florida. Approximately 3 Sundays a month, she and her husband host 10-15 guests to a delightful evening including information on the raw food lifestyle and the various types of equipment used in raw food preparation (juicers, food processors, Vitamix, dehydrators, water ionizers, etc). The night we went, the demo / menu included Mushroom Ceviche as an appetizer and a Garden Herb dressing served atop a bed of organic mixed greens. The entree was Faux Salmon Steak with a Caper-Dill Sauce.  And the desserts included a most delicious and impressive raw food version of Key Lime Pie and decadent Chocolate Truffles.

Mushroom Ceviche with Salsa and Avocado Puree


Faux Salmon Steak before dehydrating


Faux Salmon Steak after dehydrating 4-5 hours


Key Lime Pie

If you have an opportunity to attend one of her demos, I think you'll find it worthwhile. She is passionate about the raw food lifestyle and takes the mystery out of raw food preparation. The dishes are simple to prepare yet elaborate enough to impress guests and she offered so many wonderful suggestions and variations to style and serve each dish. I'm so glad I went; it was a wonderful evening away from the institute, not that I felt it was necessary to get off the campus, but it was something different - a nice evening spent with sweet friends, good dialog, great information and fantastic food and Chef Renate's husband entertained us with his piano music and singing. Magical night. This is something I would like to do myself someday, so it was helpful to attend a live demo to get real-life tips and tricks.

The Mushroom Ceviche was actually the very first raw meal I prepared as soon as I returned from Hippocrates since I just needed to go to the store and pick up the ingredients (no pre-prep required). I had ordered a dehydrator before I left Hippocrates, but I had to wait nearly 2 weeks before it arrived, THEN I could finally make the Faux Salmon Steak! It came out tasting pretty much just like the chef's!

Faux Salmon Steak

Process the following in a Champion juicer or twin gear juicer (note: I used a food processor which produced a slightly more textured mixture, but it still worked):

3 cups walnuts, soaked (I soaked overnight)
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup red peppers, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 tsp kelp powder
2 T dulse powder or flakes
2 T Braggs Liquid Aminos, or sea salt to taste

After you process above mixture:
Shape into steaks on dehydrator trays lined with ParaFlexx sheets
Wrap steaks with wet nori strips (resembles the dark salmon skin)
Slice the bottom white part of a scallion, about 1/2 inch and stick in the indent (see picture) to simulate the little bone that's in salmon steaks.

Garnish with lemon slices and serve with caper dill sauce.

Caper Dill Sauce
Place ingredients in Vitamix container:
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup oil (Chef recommended sesame oil, but I used Olive Oil - that's what I had)
1 clove garlic
2 cups parsnips, chopped
Add water until it just reaches the top of the parsnips
Sea salt to taste (optional)

Blend until smooth and creamy.

Pour dressing into a bowl and stir in diced cucumbers, chopped dill, scallions and capers (the recipe doesn't specify quantity; I used about 1/4 cup of each.

Here's how my version came out:


Notes:

Braggs Liquid Aminos can be found in any health food store, usually in the Macrobiotic section or near the soy sauce section. Nori can be found in the Macrobiotic section as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brenda's Lasagna (recipe), Overused Words and One of the Best Moms I Know

I haven't posted here as much as I thought I would. Not sure why - I guess it has to do mostly with work - I have so many thoughts going through my mind that I think would make interesting topics and then I don't set aside the time to post.  I need to manage that a little better! Take my friend, Brenda - I wonder if her ears were ringing today.  I was thinking about her.  A lot.  I mean, she's got a hubby and six kids (four are her own and two step daughters) and if she can find the time to take care of her family and herself and work full time, then I can certainly find the time to post some of my thoughts and recipes more often!  I don't have any kids; I just have a boyfriend and a cat. One of the things I've been thinking about lately is how certain words are overused.  Lately the words I hear all the time are AMAZING and ROCKS.  I was watching Property Brothers a few weeks ago and this lady kept saying "Oh my God, that's AMAY-ZING" like 18 times

Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker

Despite reading about the importance of maintaining a food journal, I figured I could just keep track in my head. Boy was I wrong!  I thought I was doing a pretty good job of approximating the number of calories I was consuming each day.  After all, food is my passion and I have a pretty good idea of calorie counts.  Over the years, my weight has slowly and steadily crept up, up, up to an all-new high. I brown-bag it during the work-week and prepare really good lunches: usually delicious salads, sometimes brown rice and steamed or lightly sauteed veggies and fruits and cut up veggies for snacks.  But still... even though I know better, when I'm at work I find myself munching on a couple of handfuls of pretzels, some chocolates, peanuts, etc. later in the afternoon.  Then, I go home and cook a large dinner.  It's just the two of us, but I like to prepare extra so BF can take leftovers to work.  But I would find myself eating 2 portions (and sometimes 3 if it tasted really good

Day 2 at Hippocrates

Monday. First thing today was having a blood draw, blood pressure taken and weight check. Blood Pressure: 128/80 Weight: 173 I was surprised by the weight because I was 177 when I left home, so already some improvement! More mandatory orientations: Internal Awareness which all about our digestive system and the importance of colon health (enemas and wheatgrass implants and colon hydrotherapy). Wheatgrass Instruction which did not have too much new information for me since I have been doing wheatgrass shots on and off for a couple of years ever since I attended a lecture that Brian Clement gave in Fairfield but nevertheless they have electronic wheatgrass juicers here, so it was good to learn how to use them. I currently have a manual wheatgrass juicer and I kinda like it cause you get to have a mini arm workout while you juice. The afternoon consisted of back-to-back lectures. I don't have my notes here with me at the moment, so I can't write them all down righ