Skip to main content

Recipe: Better Than Tuna (raw, vegan)

Finally getting around to posting recipes! So, this was a recipe that was demonstrated and served at Hippocrates by Chef Renate. She also held a cooking demo at her home one Sunday where she prepared and served a delicious 4-course meal. I think I posted the "Faux Salmon" that she prepared on Facebook, but I'll re-post it here as well (in a separate post) since I don't really get how the Facebook timeline works - sometimes I have a really difficult time finding my older posts.

Anyway, this recipe was a big hit among those of us who tried it at Hippocrates and it was really quite simple to prepare. The main thing is to be sure to factor in time to soak the sunflower seeds. Soaking seeds and nuts helps to remove the enzyme inhibitors, making them easier to digest. It also makes for a softer texture. Always discard the soak water.

I made a batch of this on Sunday and my boyfriend enjoyed it although in all honesty, while it did resemble tuna salad and it tasted good, it didn't really taste exactly like tuna salad; I believe I could have adjusted for this by adding kelp seaweed sprinkles to it to give it more of a fishy flavor, but it was actually delicious as it was so I really didn't feel the need to tinker with it further.

It makes quite a bit - we had some for dinner and we both had plenty leftover for lunch for the next 3 days, so I think next time I'll make half of the recipe if it's just for the two of us. This recipe would work well for a party - you could leave it in a bowl and serve it as a pate with celery sticks or you could fill endive leaves or lettuce leaves filled with little scoops of it and served on a large platter. You might also use large slices of red pepper with little dollops of the pate on top.

"Better than Tuna"

3 cups hulled sunflower seeds, soaked 4 to 8 hours, rinsed (discard soak water)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 squirts of Braggs Liquid Aminos or kelp to taste

Process in food processor (S blade) until thick and creamy.
Put pate in large bowl.

Add:
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced white onions

Mix all together.

Lasts 2-3 days in the refrigerator.

Notes:

Braggs Liquid Aminos can be found in any health food store, usually in the Macrobiotic section, or near the soy sauce section.  Kelp can be found in the Macrobiotic section as well.

Save money by purchasing nuts and seeds in the bulk section of the health food store. When I get home, I place them in mason jars - looks nice and keeps them fresh.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brenda's Lasagna (recipe), Overused Words and One of the Best Moms I Know

I haven't posted here as much as I thought I would. Not sure why - I guess it has to do mostly with work - I have so many thoughts going through my mind that I think would make interesting topics and then I don't set aside the time to post.  I need to manage that a little better! Take my friend, Brenda - I wonder if her ears were ringing today.  I was thinking about her.  A lot.  I mean, she's got a hubby and six kids (four are her own and two step daughters) and if she can find the time to take care of her family and herself and work full time, then I can certainly find the time to post some of my thoughts and recipes more often!  I don't have any kids; I just have a boyfriend and a cat. One of the things I've been thinking about lately is how certain words are overused.  Lately the words I hear all the time are AMAZING and ROCKS.  I was watching Property Brothers a few weeks ago and this lady kept saying "Oh my God, that's AMAY-ZING" like 18 times

Calorie Counter and Diet Tracker

Despite reading about the importance of maintaining a food journal, I figured I could just keep track in my head. Boy was I wrong!  I thought I was doing a pretty good job of approximating the number of calories I was consuming each day.  After all, food is my passion and I have a pretty good idea of calorie counts.  Over the years, my weight has slowly and steadily crept up, up, up to an all-new high. I brown-bag it during the work-week and prepare really good lunches: usually delicious salads, sometimes brown rice and steamed or lightly sauteed veggies and fruits and cut up veggies for snacks.  But still... even though I know better, when I'm at work I find myself munching on a couple of handfuls of pretzels, some chocolates, peanuts, etc. later in the afternoon.  Then, I go home and cook a large dinner.  It's just the two of us, but I like to prepare extra so BF can take leftovers to work.  But I would find myself eating 2 portions (and sometimes 3 if it tasted really good

Summertime Kale Salad with Kelp Noodles

I crave this salad!  The variations are limitless depending on what produce is seasonal and available. Today I had a small yellow summer squash, so I used it. Other times I might use cucumber, fresh peas (you could use frozen peas too - just rinse briefly under cold water to thaw), red pepper, tomatoes, fresh raw corn just off the cob.  Here's how I made it today. Summertime Kale Salad with Kelp Noodles For the Kelp Noodles: 1 package Kelp Noodles 1 lime OR 1/2 lemon To prepare Kelp Noodles:  rinse according to package directions and drain in colander.  The kelp noodles are long and kind of unruly to eat, so I use a clean pair of scissors (reserved for food use only) to cut them in to smaller, easy-to-manage pieces (2 inches or so).  Place the cut kelp noodles in a medium bowl and squeeze lime or lemon juice over the  noodles and toss to coat.  Set aside to marinate while you prepare the Kale Salad. For the Kale Salad: 2 bunches Lacinato kale (can use regular kale t